How to make
- 2 tbsp (25 mL)Vegetable oil
- 1Stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)Thinly sliced leek (white and light green parts only)
- 1Clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL)Dry red wine
- 3/4 cup (175 mL)PC® Black Label California Wild Rice
- 2-3/4 cups (675 mL)PC® Organics Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1Bay Leaf
- 1 cup (250 mL)Lightly packed finely chopped stemmed kale
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)PC® Black Label Figs Soft Dried Fruit
- 1/4 cup (50 mL)Pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tsp (5 mL)Freshly ground black pepper
- 1Skin-on bone-in turkey breast (about 2-1/2 lb / 1.25 kg), bone removed
- 1 tsp (5 mL)Salt
- 3 tbsp (45 mL)PC® Black Label Fig Cabernet Wine Jelly
How to make
- Step 1Heat large saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp oil; cook celery, leek and garlic, stirring often, until softened but not browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Step 2Add wine; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Stir in rice. Add broth and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until rice is tender and most grains are slightly split, about 60 minutes, adding kale in last 5 minutes. Uncover; discard bay leaf. Let cool completely. Stir in figs, pine nuts and pepper.
- Step 3Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Place turkey, skin side up, on cutting board. Holding sharp knife parallel to cutting board at long side of turkey, slice into breast to within 1-inch (2.5 cm) of opposite side to make pocket, leaving 1-inch intact (2.5 cm) on either end of pocket.
- Step 4Remove 1-3/4 cups of the rice mixture to bowl; spoon into pocket of turkey. Tie kitchen twine crosswise around turkey at 2-inch (5 cm) intervals to secure. Sprinkle turkey with salt. Arrange roasting rack in roasting pan; set aside.
- Step 5Heat skillet over medium heat; add remaining 1 tbsp oil. Add turkey, skin side down; cook, turning occasionally, until golden on all sides, 10 to 11 minutes. Transfer turkey, skin side up, to rack in roasting pan. Cover loosely with foil.
- Step 6Roast until instant-read thermometer inserted sideways into centre of turkey reads 145°F (63°C), about 75 minutes. Remove foil; spread jelly over surface of turkey. Roast, uncovered, until instant-read thermometer inserted sideways into centre of turkey reads 155°F (70°C), about 20 minutes. (Internal temperature of turkey will rise to 165°F/74°C during rest time.)
- Step 7Transfer turkey to cutting board and cover loosely with foil; let rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove twine and slice turkey crosswise.