How to make
- 1-1/4 cups (310 mL)dried apricots, chopped
- 3/4 cup (188 mL)dried pitted prunes, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)sweetened dried cherries
- 2bags black tea
- 2-3/4 cups (688 mL)all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp (20 mL)Baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Each cinnamon, salt and ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL)salt
- 1/3 cup (83 mL)unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL)PC® Black Label Cherry Pinot Noir Condiment, divided
- 2Large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup (188 mL)Packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)Homogenized milk
How to make
- Step 1Combine apricots, prunes, cherries, tea bags and 1 cup (250 mL) water in small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat until mixture begins to gently simmer, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool 20 minutes. Strain through fine-mesh strainer, discarding liquid and tea bags. Set fruit mixture aside.
- Step 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Arrange oven rack in bottom third of oven. Grease 9 x 5-inch (2 L) loaf pan; line with parchment paper, leaving 1-inch (2.5 cm) overhang on 2 opposite sides.
- Step 3Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt in large bowl. Set aside
- Step 4Combine butter and 2 tbsp (30 mL) cherry condiment in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until butter is melted, 30 to 40 seconds. Scrape into separate large bowl; whisk in eggs, brown sugar and milk until smooth. Stir in fruit mixture.
- Step 5Fold in flour mixture with rubber spatula just until no white streaks remain. Scrape into prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake in bottom third of oven until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Step 6Microwave remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) cherry condiment in microwave-safe bowl until warm, 10 to 15 seconds. Brush all over hot loaf. Let loaf cool in pan 20 minutes. Lifting with parchment, remove loaf from pan. Peel off parchment. Serve warm or let cool completely on rack.
- Try this: Customize this loaf by playing around with flavoured black tea. You can also use loose-leaf tea instead of bags – you’ll need about 2 tbsp (30 mL) loose-leaf tea in a tea infuser or bag.