How to make
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL)PC®Brown Basmati Rice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)Olive oil
- 1Onion, chopped
- 2Cloves garlic, minced
- 1Jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL)Minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL)Each ground coriander and ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL)Ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL)Cayenne pepper
- 1 can (796 mL)PC®Blue Menu®Whole Tomatoes
- 1 pkg (500 g)PC®Blue Menu®Red Kidney Beans - Frozen
- 1 pkg (350 g)PC®Blue Menu®Extra Firm Tofu
- 1/4 cup (50 mL)Chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)Fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL)Salt
How to make
- Step 1Combine rice and 2-1/2 cups water in large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Stir, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until all water is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat oil in separate large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeño, ginger, coriander, cumin, turmeric and cayenne pepper; cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Step 3Add tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Stir in frozen beans and tofu; return to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender and liquid is slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Step 4Remove from heat; stir in cilantro, lemon juice and salt. Serve over rice.